Taking care of your oral health can be the key to maintaining the well-being of your general health. Family dentistry plays an important role in improving your overall quality of life by taking care of all your dental issues under one roof. Finding the right family dentist to work with is just as essential in maintaining your oral health and taking care of the dental concerns of each member of your family.
How Does Oral Health Affect Your General Health?
It is not an uncommon practice to hold off seeking dental care until absolutely needed. We usually prefer to see a dentist only when we’re hit with unbearable pain or find it difficult to chew or eat food. However, such an approach to oral health is discouraged and should be replaced with a more conscientious attitude.
Research has proven that oral health problems are linked to a number of medical health conditions, which warrants the need for us to pay attention to our dental issues. Infections in the mouth can fester and lead to severe gum disease, which in turn, has been linked to heart conditions. This occurs due to bacteria that colonize the mouth and can also travel to other parts of the body.
How Can a Family Dentist Help Take Care of Your Oral Health?
Much like a family physician, a family dentist takes care of each member in your family; whether it’s you, your little kid or an elderly parent. Family dentists are expert dental practitioners that are trained to provide quality dental care to patients of all ages. There are a number of benefits of having a family dentist, such as –
- Convenience: Instead of taking each family member to a different specialist, you can simply schedule appointments for everyone on the same day when you have a family dentistry office taking care of you.
- Familiarity: Family dentists have the biggest impact on children. Once a child has familiarised themselves with their family dentist and become comfortable with them, they may continue to see the same dentist even as they grow into adults.
- Reliability: Having a family dentist also provides the assurance that you and your family will receive the same quality of dental care at every visit. A family dentist is aware of their patients’ dental histories and is in a better position to know their requirements in times of dental emergencies.
What Does a Family Dentist Do?
The role of a family dentist is varied, with most dental procedures falling under their level of expertise. Family dentists offer the following services to patients of all ages:
- Full-mouth dental examination
- Dental X-rays
- Deep cleaning and polishing
- Dental sealants and fluoride treatments
- Examination and screening for oral cancer
- Fabrication of night-guards and mouth-guards
- Guidance towards oral care at home
- Dental fillings
- Root canal treatments
- Dental crowns, fixed dental bridges, partial & complete dentures
- Inlay and Onlay restorations
- Tooth extractions
- Gum disease treatment
- Teeth whitening
- Dental implants
- Porcelain crowns and veneers
- Composite fillings
Visit us at River Rock Dental to know more about how having us as your family dentistry office can assist you in maintaining the well-being of you and your family’s oral health.